History of Berriwillock
Berriwillock has a population of around 100 people and is located 334 km north-west of Melbourne on the Calder Highway, on the “143rd meridian where it crosses the highway”.
History of Birchip
Birchip has a history going back 125 years. Birchip is at the centre of some of the best wheat growing country in Victoria and is positioned on the southern border of the Mallee region.
History of Charlton
Charlton is a small and attractive rural town of tree-lined streets, situated on both banks of the Avoca River.
History of Culgoa
Culgoa was named from an Aboriginal word meaning river runs through. First called Kaneira (place where snake seen) the name changed for railway purposes to avoid confusion with Kaniva. (Blake)
History of Donald
Geologically, the district is part of the Murray basin, which in volcanic times was an inland sea, and still retains beneath the surface the salt which has become a real problem.
History of Nandaly
European settlement of the Nandaly district can be traced back to the 1840’s but it was in the 1890’s and the early years of the 1900’s that the townships that make up Nandaly and District began to form.
History of Nullawil
Nullawil is a small and attractive rural town of tree-lined streets, situated on the Calder Highway. The township and immediate surrounds has a population of around 100 people and it is located 245 km north-west of Melbourne via the Calder Highway and is 118m above sea-level.
History of Sea Lake
The town was given its name by an early settler, Edward Eyre, who originated from the Port Phillip area of Victoria. Purportedly, it was the sea-like appearance of Lake Tyrrell that inspired Eyre to name the town Sea Lake.
History of Watchem
Originally part of the Djadjawyrybg and Djabwyrung lands, Watchem was settled by Europeans in the 1870’s.
History of Wycheproof
Wycheproof has a settlement history of over 160 years. The pre-settlement history of the area is quite unkown.